Sunday, March 13, 2011

Garden (By Eric)

Yeah... yeah... yeah.  I know this is Becca's blog, but I am posting here anyway.  A few weeks ago I spent my Saturday in a gardening class.  Inspired by the class, I decided to try once again to get a garden going.  So now nearly two weeks later it is set up and ready.

20 feet by 5 feet
With the help of the kids its been dug up, weeded, fertilized and planted.  They helped plant carrots, onions, cilantro, and zucchini seeds.

The White PVC pipe is the watering system
 The watering system is on a timer.  It takes about a minute to water the garden.  When the summer heat kicks in we will boost the number of watering times.

We expect the seed to sprout in about a week.  Once they do we will transplant Tomatoes, Peppers, and watermelons, which started off in a more controlled environment.  (The future locations are marked with the stakes in the first picture.

Waiting for Transplant
When shopping for the remaining plants Amelia talked us into getting her some flowers.  So we will be moving them over to a pot soon.

In the background you might notice wood stacked against the wall.  That is for the trellis I will be building over the next week.  This will be the support system so the tomatoes, and other plants can have support to grow up off the ground.

As for the gnome.... well I got him as a white elephant gift some eight years ago.  He has stood in every garden since then.  When I went to get him for this one he was very sun faded and Ameila had broken the legs off.  Needless to say the legs have been glued back on and I repainted the green on the coat and hat and black on the boots.  Once he dries I'll touch up the beard, mushroom, grass, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment